University of the 3rd Age (U3A)
A volunteer association for retirees and the mature aged.
U3A conducts courses and operates without reference to qualifications, examinations or awards.
Learn --- Enjoy mental stimulation
Teach --- Share your knowledge/skills
Socialise --- Make friends and relax
What does U3A stand for?
"Third Age" refers to the life period of active retirement, which follows the first age of childhood and formal education and the second age of working life, and which precedes the fourth age of dependence.
"The University shall consist of a body of persons who undertakes to learn and to help others to learn. Those who teach shall also learn and those who learn shall also teach".
Dr Peter Laslett, Co-founder of U3A Britain
Objectives of U3A Tamborine Mountain Inc
- To operate a learning association which requires no prior qualifications, no exams and no degrees are awarded.
- To provide programs of learning and social activities which offer stimulation and development to persons in the 3rd age of their lives.
- To create an environment which is conducive to the social interaction of members.
- To exchange ideas and resources with other U3A groups, both in Australia and overseas.
- To do all such things which support the attainment of the above objectives.