From our lovely little community up here on the mountain, it is hard to comprehend the magnitude of the disaster that is sweeping the world. U3A Tamborine Mountain Inc has taken the only step available to us as an organisation. To do our part in working towards slowing down the spread of the virus, we have ceased all U3A courses, classes, activities and social events until further notice. You may see Pickleball apparently still happening, but those playing are playing as individuals, unsupported by U3A. We understand that open air activities, even in restaurants are not as conducive to the spread as are groupings within doors. As we all continue to limit our activities and maintain personal hygiene as it applies to this virus, we can - and do - keep a lookout for our friends, relatives and neighbours who need more assistance at this time.
Delle Daniels, President, U3A Tamborine Mountain Inc.
1. Wash hands regularly with appropriate sanitisers or soap and water. Carry a personal sanitiser pack, and avoid touching your face if possible.
2. Members who have travelled recently from China, or other countries with infection outbreaks, should self-isolate at home for two weeks afterwards.
3. People with upper respiratory symptoms - fever, cough, sneezing, sore throat - should avoid classes until the nature of their illness is clear and they no longer have such symptoms.
Please also read these advisory documents:
The global situation is still evolving and we will update this advice if the circumstances warrant.
University of the 3rd Age (U3A)
A volunteer association for retirees and the mature aged.
U3A conducts courses and operates without reference to qualifications, examinations or awards.
Learn --- Enjoy mental stimulation
Teach --- Share your knowledge/skills
Socialise --- Make friends and relax
What does U3A stand for?
U3A is "University of the Third Age". The term "University" is used in the original sense of the word - of an association or community of teachers and scholars, united in the pursuit of knowledge.
"Third Age" refers to the life period of active retirement, which follows the first age of childhood and formal education and the second age of working life.
"The University shall consist of a body of persons who undertakes to learn and to help others to learn. Those who teach shall also learn and those who learn shall also teach".
Dr Peter Laslett, Co-founder of U3A Britain
Objectives of U3A Tamborine Mountain Inc
- To operate a learning association which requires no prior qualifications, no exams and no degrees are awarded.
- To provide programs of learning and social activities which offer stimulation and development to persons in the 3rd age of their lives.
- To create an environment which is conducive to the social interaction of members.
- To exchange ideas and resources with other U3A groups, both in Australia and overseas.
- To do all such things which support the attainment of the above objectives.
U3A - A Brief History
U3A is an international movement which has spread from France since 1973. The Cambridge UK (1981) model changed from the original university concept to one where members themselves are the teachers. This model was adopted in Australia, the first being in Melbourne in 1984. U3A Sunshine Coast and Brisbane were established in 1986. There are now over 30 U3As in Queensland and more than 200 Australia-wide with many thousands ofmembers.
In July 2007, 27 members of U3A Jimboomba, residents of Tamborine Mountain, agreed to form the local branch. In January 2008 the group was officially incorporated with the Office of Fair Trading as U3A Tamborine Mountain Inc. The first Annual General Meeting was held in April 2008.
The membership elects a small group of people each year to form the Management Committee. All members are encouraged to nominate for the committee positions at the Annual General Meeting.
The Friends of the Committee are members who are willing and able to assist as needed, without the commitment of being on the committee.
Incorporation No: IA36025
ABN: 62 810 959 624
Public Liability Insurance
$20,000,000 any one occurrence